Whiteheads are also known as comedones and is a form of acne which is caused by when skin pores gets clogged with the trapped dirt, dead skin and sebum. Whiteheads mostly appear on cheeks, temple, nose and forehead.
Whiteheads are very similar to blackheads but appear as a yellow or small white bump under the surface of the closed pores. Blackheads are dark coloured because they get exposed to oxygen. People who are overactive to sebaceous glands and sebum production are more prone to developing whiteheads. This normally happen to people who have overactive sebaceous glands and also excess amount of sebum production. Most of the times, whiteheads can appear due to hormonal changes or genes. Whiteheads are also very common in the acne prone skin as the cells lining the pores promote clogged pores.
Here are some of the home remedies which you must try to get rid of whiteheads
Taking sauna bath or steam bath is one of the best ways to get rid of whiteheads. Both can help in opening up the pores and loosen the buildup of dirt, dead skin cells and oils.
- Place your head over the steam with a towel to trap the steam onto your face. Allow the steam to soak in for 7 to 8 minutes and the pat it dry completely.
- Alternately you should dip a soft, clean towel in the hot water to wipe out the excess water and place it on the face. Leave the steam for a few minutes and then remove it. Repeat the process for three to four times in a sitting.
Repeat this process for two to three weeks, especially if you have oily skin. You can also use scrubs or other exfoliating remedies for better results.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is very effective for gentle exfoliation of dirt, oil and dead skin cells. It can be very effective in maintaining the pH balance of the skin.
- Add a small amount of water in one teaspoon of baking soda and make a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and wash off after a few minutes of use.
Oatmeal is slightly abrasive in nature which makes it a very good scrub for your skin. Oatmeal also works as a natural exfoliator which can be very effective in getting rid of all the accumulated dirt and dead skin. Along with this oatmeal can also absorb all the excess oils and open up the pores.
- Mix oatmeal in milk or water and use is to scrub your face.
- Repeat it once a week.