Foot fungus, also known as athlete’s foot, has symptoms similar to that of ringworm. Foot fungus causes irritation, itching, redness or inflammation. Left untreated foot fungus can spread to other parts of the body especially groin, hands and toes.
There are several ways to prevent foot fungus:
- Shoes: Your shoes play a significant role in prevention of foot fungus. Avoid wearing shoes that are too tight and uncomfortable. Buy shoes that provide some breathing space to ensure no extra moisture is present between your toes. It is important to wear clean shoes at all times.
- Socks: Always wear clean dry socks. Change socks after every six hours, if possible. Wear cotton socks instead of nylon or mixed material to ensure that air passes through your socks.
- Cut your toenails: Many people question the relationship between nails and fungus. Fungus appears in unhealthy atmosphere. Your nails have both moisture and dirt, which easily attracts fungal infections. Keep your toenails short and clean to prevent fungal infections.
- Avoid flat shoes in public places: It is the most effective way to prevent your feet against fungal diseases. Keeping your feet well-protected and properly covered when you are in a public space, such as, parks, malls, roads, etc. helps in prevention of fungus.
- Scrubbing: Taking care of your feet by scrubbing and deep cleansing regularly ensures that you have scraped off whatever germs you have attracted. Scrubbing is an effective prevention method and also a great remedy to cure fungal infection.
- Salt water dip: Once a month, dip your feet in salt water. Water is a natural cleaner that works against bacteria. Salt water bath and cleansing can help you get rid of infections and fungus.
Regardless of your efforts, if your feet have been infected with fungus, there are a few remedies that can help you get rid of it.
You can clean your feet regularly with water mixed with vinegar. Vinegar is a healing remedy that fights against fungus and bacteria.
There are various herbal antifungal gels available in the market that can help you get rid of foot fungus.
Baking soda is a popular kitchen ingredient and also a great remedy for fungus. Baking soda will soak away the moisture from the infected area of your foot, causing the infection to dry naturally and quickly. After the baking soda treatment, you can use aloe vera gel or olive oil to soothe the skin.